Thursday, November 13, 2014

1 Year!

I was hoping I could post this post on October 12, but as always I procrastinated and here I am, over a month late!! 

October 12th marked being in THAILAND for One Year!! 

This still absolutely boggles my mind. The thought that I have lived abroad, in another country for a full year is just crazy to me! 

I remember when I found out that I was moving to Thailand. It was such a foreign idea and I had so many mixed feelings about moving! I was sooo excited to leave Florida and come teach in a whole new world, but I was also nervous and sad at the same time! Not knowing what to expect and what the next year would hold was a bit scary. I also knew that I would miss my family, friends, and work family a ton! 

 The transition to Thailand was pretty smooth! I never noticed being homesick or regretting my decision to move out here! There were definitely times that I wished I could go to Taco Lu or Campeeche Bay for dinner but I soon realized that there is an amazing Mexican restaurant only 2 hours away in Bangkok!! :) 

After being in Thailand for only 2 months I decided that I wanted to stay for another six months. (I moved here in October which is the second semester of school, so when my year was up I would be leaving the students in the middle of the year...) 
I knew that I didn't want to leave the kids in the middle of the school year because I know how difficult the transition of new teachers is for them! So, I went ahead and committed to my school til the end of the school year in March 2015. 

Now that I have hit the 1 year mark, the question that is on my mind is 
"Where do I go from here? What do I do next?!" 

Well with a lot of thought and consideration, I have already told my parents that I will not be coming home at the end of this contract! I want to spend another year here in Thailand!! :) It is a big decision but I know that it is what I want to do! 

I am in the process of deciding where I will teach for the next school year. I love my town and am extremely happy with my school! But I think Thailand has so much to offer that I may move somewhere else to teach for the year! 

The process is kind of at a stand still for now as I update my resume, reach out to different schools, and all of the fun paper work that comes with finding a new job, but I am excited and anxious to see where the next year in Thailand will take me! 

I can't thank you all enough for the continued love and support you've shown me!! 

Living in Thailand is amazing but it is not always easy... There are so many challenges that come with living in another country and teaching in a Thai school, but I have adapted well and am excited to continue learning!! :) 

Sending lots of love back home!

-LD

No comments:

Post a Comment