Tuesday, November 5, 2013

Random Thai Fun

I know it has been FOREVER since I posted last, but I just haven't really had anything too exciting to fill your time with.... 

After getting situated in Saraburi, I had almost two weeks before school started... I thought about traveling and spending my free time that way but instead decided to stay home and start to put my roots down in my new town. 

Ashley and I spent our free time getting to know our town, visiting many street vendors and restaurants (where we have formed some really fun relationships from), and turning our house into our home! :)  We did some deep cleaning and -added some different touches to our rooms and living areas. It definitely feels more like home now! We also decided that since we will be here for a full year (at least), we will have plenty of time to travel to the places that we want to visit...right now we are just trying to save money until our first paycheck at the end of November...


First Bar in Saraburi

New Thai Friend

Other OEGer's and Thai Mama! 

The traffic/driving patterns here are crazy but as most of you know Ashley and I got a moped to get us around town....Somehow I got designated "driver" for the time being so I am becoming a lot more confident with my driving skills...I have come to realize that if you take the time to "think" if you should turn/switch lanes, etc, then you have most likely missed your opportunity to get over so you now are stuck.... You have to move quick here or else....well, ya....probably wouldn't turn out to great! :) (sorry, Mom)...we do wear helmets! :) 


Vroooom! 

Scoot Scoot! 


I haven't been homesick at all but it is now starting to set in that I will not be eating some of my FAVORITE foods for a LONG time... I obviously knew that coming into this but for some reason it is really hitting home. Like every time TacoLu updates their facebook status with their tacos of the day....Or when Kevin post on Instagram the amazing pictures of what he cooked for dinner...Or the fact that I don't have ENDLESS supplies of cheese at my finger tips... I have eaten at some good restaurants here but don't ask me what they are called because I have NO IDEA! :) Obviously the names are in Thai so I can't even tell someone to meet me at "______" restaurant. I have to tell them where it is/how to get there...


Apples and Peanut Butter (I found JIF!!!) 
So we actually found some CHEESE...and it was ehh, decent... And by decent I mean I was CHEESE deprived so it definitely helped some...

We finally grocery shopped for things other than snacks, beer, and wine...
Home cooked meal, and it was delicious!! :) First meal without RICE! :) 
Thai "style" eating... This was just for Ashley and I...
Thai's order multiple dishes and eat family style.
Speaking of getting places...imagine how hard it is to get a motor taxi back to your house when you don't even know your own address. Yepp, that is the situation I am dealing with now... There is a hospital down the street from me so if I am lucky I can say Saraburi Hospital and <fingers crossed> the driver understands! :) 

Last weekend Ashley and I made an overnight trip to Bangkok...Nothing too crazy or exciting but we have a friend their that we met in orientation. We took a minibus from Saraburi to Bangkok (100 kilometers), which took us about 2-2 1/2 hours... Once in Bangkok we had to try and figure out how to get where we were going from the random bus stop we were dropped off at (it was a legit bus stop, but random to us because again, we had no idea where we were...just where are final destination was..) We got a hotel on Khaosan Road which is a major tourism spot, especially for backpackers...it is completely touristy and over done but it was fun to experience... I hadn't seen that many other "foreigners" in WEEKS!! It was crazy how amazing it was to actually here English being spoken around us! (it's the little things, right?!) 


On the way to Bangkok

Oh, hey Ronald!

Ashley and Polly! :) 

when on Khaosan Road...eat a SCORPION!? true story, we did! 

Other than all of that fun stuff, it has been a pretty relaxing week or so... School started this past Friday, so I have officially made it through 3 whole days with my little munchkins!! :) I will post shortly about them and everything school related! :) 

check out this LONG address...probably wouldn't even fit on a post card!! Yikes! 

Lauren Diminick
c/o Anuban Saraburi School
657 Phahonyothin Road
Ampure Mueng Saraburi
Saraburi, 18000
Thailand

and a little piece of interesting information from OEG...some people were wondering about this...



1 comment:

  1. Whatttttt!!! I can't believe you're NOT homesick for more than just food!!!! :( Just kidding! I couldn't be happier to know that you are so independent and adjust so easily. Not that there was ever a question about that ;-) I'm sure we all miss you way more than you miss us, keep enjoying and experiencing this adventure in your life :) Thank goodness for skype!!! Love and miss you, keep on blogging ♥

    ReplyDelete